Sunday, January 10, 2010

OT Challenge 2010

So we're about 10 days in the OT Challenge 2010. I've got to say that one of my major regrets in terms of my scripture study is that I have never plowed through the entire Old Testament. I remember hearing a story about how President Benson felt guilty that he hadn't read it when he was like 12. So, he stayed up nights reading by candle light or something like that. Well, I missed the boat when I was 12, but it's better late than never. I did the math and to finish this beast of a tome, it's no more, no less than 3.22 pages a day. So far, both Jaime and I are on track.

I was hoping that more people would join us. Imagine the feeling of spiritual accomplishment as we all read aloud, "lest I come and smite the earth with a curse," on December 31, 2010. AAAaahhhwwwoooo!

I'm excited to do this because the Old Testament has always been special to me, despite never having completely tamed its 1184 pages. As I see it, it's the most esoteric book of scripture that we have. Esoteric basically means hidden meaning. What great treasures and pearls of wisdom await us in the pages of the most ancient scripture that we have? The challenge presented by the Old Testament is particularly special for Christians I think. We basically share this book with another faith. The Old Testament is essentially the law and the prophets referred to by the Jews (Law = Books of Moses, Prophets = Writings of both the Minor and Major Prophets). So the challenge is to find Christ in a book revered by a faith that does not believe in Him. I testify that He is there, and that the more layers we peel back together, the better we will see Him. Let's do it!

5 comments:

  1. awesome! john and i are super excited about this. we are reading it together, and are also on track! thanks for the special invitation to join you in the challenge. it will be an amazing journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YIPEE!! This is going to be great. What a cool idea. I'll start it up today. Hopefully Heavy C's will be able to join me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you guys are on board with this. I know Matt and I have been excited since we started. It's going to be way fun, and a great accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynell and I are in. When I read your idea, I got so excited I did one of those Nazi heel clicks and shouted, "Achtung!"
    We're reading about four pages a day in order to catch up.
    Great idea!

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. The prophet who read as a boy (around 12 years old, maybe as old as 14) was President Kimball. Someone actually asked, in a church talk, how many people had read the entire Bible cover to cover, and young Spencer Kimball was ashamed that he couldn't raise his hand, so that is when he started his candlelight studying.

    The Old Testament is FULL of references to Jesus, because it is a book about him. It is esoteric...one has to continually ask, where are the references to Jesus in this section; but, if one does so, the Spirit will provide surprising answers.

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete